Whole Body Cryotherapy
Whole Body Cryotherapy (WBC) is a systemic anti-inflammatory treatment involving skin exposure to ultra-low temperatures – between -200 and -250 degrees Fahrenheit – for a brief, controlled time of just 1.5 to 3 minutes.
- The blood vessels rapidly constrict (vasoconstriction) to keep the core temperature unchanged ( while the average skin temperature drops to 50°F) and to protect the organs.
- The shock provokes an analgesic effect via the release of endorphins.
- Once back to normal temperature outside the cryochamber, the blood vessels dilate (vasodilation). Blood circulation is dramatically improved and the distribution of oxygen and nutrient throughout the entire body is improved, as well as the natural elimination of waste and toxins.
While the body has entered survival mode for a few minutes, the brain has received and sent out messages to check physiological and metabolic functions and to boost the anti-inflammatory protocol to heal traumas where need be. The major advantage of Whole Body Cryotherapy has over an ice dip is that the healing process continues longer than the exposure time.In the Cryosauna, clients are protected with socks, gloves, and slippers. Clothing worn during treatment should be minimal for best results. For women undergarments are optional, while for men, cotton underwear must be worn. The core body temperature remains unchanged throughout the process, however, it may drop slightly afterwards. You have the option of using our exercise equipment to warm back up after your treatment.
Whole Body Cryotherapy provides incredible health benefits, both short and long term:
- Multiplies metabolic rate
- Eases suffering from rheumatoid arthritis
- Calms autoimmune and other inflammatory disorders
- Relieves skin disorders such as, dermatitis and psoriasis
- Reverses skin aging, poor skin elasticity, and cellulite
- Relieves depression, anxiety, and stress
- Reduces insomnia and chronic fatigue
- Increases energy levels naturally
- Improves blood circulation
- Boosts the immune system
Localized cryotherapy applies the same concept as Whole Body Cryotherapy. The difference is that a targeted area is exposed to the cold (as low as -256°F), comparable to icing it but more powerful and more efficient. The body response is focused on a single zone, hereby drastically maximizing its effects.
The use of a cryo hand-held device allows for higher precision to reach the area to treat such as neck, shoulders, elbows, knees, ankles, or feet. The cryogenic nitrogen gas can be applied for longer ( 5 to 10 minutes); penetrating deeper and longer, localized cryotherapy has positive effects on post traumatic microcirculation.
Localized cryotherapy is frequently used in complement of Whole Body treatment so as to both relieve the affected area and provide the body with the improved physiological function that can sustain the healing process. Spot cryo treatments applications include:
- Rehabilitation therapy
- Sports medicine
- Athletic recovery
- Cellulite reduction
In Europe, the use of local cryotherapy has been extended to more areas of medicine including rheumatology, neurology, traumatology and aesthetics medicine.
This localized cryotherapy solution is recommended in case of sprains, tendonitis, post surgery recovery to:
- Accelerate the healing of scarred tissues
- Reduce swelling
- Minimize bruising
- Relieve back pain, muscle aches and spasms
It is also an effective body shaping technique, by freezing fat cells and eliminating then naturally through the blood stream.
Cryofacial™ uses the same device as local cryotherapy but is specifically designed to treat the face and the neck.
The main reasons of aging skin are the loss of collagen (the production slows down with years) and a poor oxygenation of the skin layers. Add to it a busy life, pollution, stress and internal pollutants (toxins, processed food) and your face loses its elasticity, wrinkles deepen, eyelids drop, the jaw line is not as clearly defined and bags and dark circles appear under the eyes.
It is common to find beauty tips advising to rub ice cubes on a tired faced, however uncomfortable that is. The freezing moisture may provide temporary relief but is never pleasant.
Cryofacial™ directs a beam of vaporized liquid nitrogen all over the face and neck. The vasoconstriction / vasodilation phenomenon helps decrease pore size and increases blood flow which can deliver oxygen and nutrients to the cells and detoxifies them at the same time.
Properly fed and freed of toxins, the cells are back to work, producing the collagen that glues it all together (collagen is the most abundant protein in the body and is found in tissues protecting our organs, connects ligaments to our bones, holds our joints, strengthens blood vessels, gives the skin its firmness and elasticity).
As a Cryohealthcare certified center, San Diego Cryotherapy offers Cryofacial™ for a more youthful, healthier complexion:
- Detoxify the cells
- Tighten the skin
- Reduce wrinkles, lines and dark circles
- Diminish blemishes
Without the need for injection or cosmetic surgery, facial cryotherapy helps reverse the signs of aging and treats skin disorders such as dermatitis and psoriasis.
What is an Infrared Sauna?
An Infrared Sauna uses the application of heat to the body to provide health benefits as used my ancient cultures. Saunas are typically small rooms with dry or wet heat that warms the air and then through that process heats the body from the inside out. Infrared Saunas uses new technology to warm the body with infrared panels that emits an invisible energy in the form of light.
Benefits of Using an Infrared Sauna…
Here at San Diego Cryotherapy we prefer Infrared Saunas to Traditional Sauna because Infrared Sauna’s allow light to heat the body directly. Meaning we can use an overall lower temperature all whilst increasing the body temperature more so than a Traditional Sauna would. The lower temperature also allows the experience to be much more tolerable and enjoyable.
- Burn Up to 500 Calories in 30 Minutes-The heat causes the body to work hard in order to keep a low core temperature and heart rate. This is the equivalent to the body exercising. The harder the body works to maintain those levels the more calories burned which only help improve your metabolism.
- Detox Entire Body- Saunas Cause circulation and sweat to increase which will detoxify the body
- Increase Collagen & Cell Rejuvenation- The heat applied will help activate heat shock proteins which have been shown to help prevent aging and creates longevity.
- Removes Age Marks
- Clears Up Sinuses
- Reduce Sore & Aches- Most pains are caused by inflammation in the body, so if you feel pain in your muscles or joints, infrared saunas can help suppress this pain by improving the circulation to reduce inflammation.
- Improves Recovery- Through the increase of blood circulation the muscles are able to recovery faster by carrying out metabolic waste that is built up from muscle movement. At the same time oxygen is being carried to the muscles that have been depleted of oxygen consumption. The heat will also cause the body to release heat shock proteins, ultimately promoting muscle growth.
- Significantly Improves Skin Conditions & Organ Functions
- Rids Cellulite
- Improves Sleep
- Skin Purifying
The increase of sweat and circulation helps to emit dead skin cells and skin impurities. The infrared sauna will also help improve skin tone, elasticity and texture. With the increase of blood circulation, it will help the body reduce inflammation and help relieve acne, eczema, psoriasis, burns, lesions, and cuts as well.
- Boost Energy Levels
Infrared Saunas cause the body to produce and release endorphins and opioids. Endorphins are a happiness hormone that the body releases, and opioids are the body’s natural pain relievers.
- Relaxation- This therapy help promote relaxation by balancing the body’s level of cortisol, the body’s primary stress hormone. The heat will allow the muscles to relax and relieve any tension in the body.
- Inflammation & Autoimmunity
- cardiovascular diseases
- chronic kidney disease
- chronic pain
- chronic fatigue
- Sjögren syndrome (an immune condition marked by dry eyes/mouth)
- rheumatoid arthritis
- asthma and chronic bronchitis
What Can I Expect during a Session?
Be Hydrated. Clients who are coming in for an Infrared Sauna Session should drink at least 4 oz. of water before their session in preparation to sweat. Wear comfortable loose clothing or a bathing suit or any athletic wear will do. Two towels minimum will be required before entering the sauna (One will be placed on the bench and the other to wipe self-down).
If you have been drinking alcohol or feel ill, we do not recommend a sauna session.
After filling out our initial paperwork and your client profile has been created, a staff member will show you to our private infrared sauna room. There is a space provided for your belongings. Our infrared sauna has Bluetooth and an aux cord available for you to enjoy music on your mobile device.
Our sessions typically last between 30-60 minutes. For clients using the infrared sauna for the first time we recommend starting with a 30 minute session with breaks taken and keeping hydrated. We start at a temperature of 135◦F.
Post Treatment Care
The most important thing is to keep hydrated and drink a minimum of 8 oz of water. Give yourself time to adjust your body temperature and cool down after a sauna session.
What is Cryo T-Shock?
Cryo T-Shock is a non-invasive, safe treatment that is essentially the application of heat and low temperature that is as cold as 0◦ to -6◦C applied directly to the skin. In this case the fat cells would take the most effect to this treatment as they will go through apoptosis which essentially means the fat cell will die and pass through the lymphatic system.
- Tighten & Firm Skin
- Promotes Fat Loss
- Reduce Cellulite
What to Expect?
The treatment itself is painless and should feel like a massage. The session will begin with warming of the skin area to prepare it for the gradual decrease in temperature. From there the session would range from 0◦ to -6◦C and could take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.
How does Cryo T-Shock compare to Cool sculpting?
For starter Cool sculpting is not such a pleasant treatment as the sensation is more of a tugging and pulling sensation often compared to a vacuum like feel. Where the Cryo T-Shock is more of a massage feel and is relaxing. Also in comparison Cryoslimming is not as precise as the T-shock in targeting fat cells. As for pricing the Cryo T-Shock can cost 1/3 or ¼ of what Cryoslimming would cost with the same or even better results.
What to do in order to maintain or maximize results?
It is always recommended to stay hydrated. To promote lymphatic drainage (ridding of fat cells) a Whole Body Cryo session or even a minimum of a 30 minute sauna session would be recommended.